Friday, March 03, 2006

Want a Lemon Diet Coke with that bucket of popcorn?

I don't usually look forward to very many movies but since I read the book and really enjoyed it I was eagerly awaiting The DaVinci Code. I was a little disappointed to hear that a lawsuit might delay the release. I really hope that doesn't happen.

My whole feeling on the matter is this: Every theory, book, song, poem, dream, idea stems from something we've seen, heard, smelled or felt and all of those things are part of people...through senses, emotions, our very being. Someone saying that part of "my" work sparked the idea for this or that and was the basis for your book altogether is a bit off the mark (In all fairness, I haven't read the other book.) but we all know that every paper we've ever written for every class we've ever taken in school had a bibliography. Heck, I put slices of lemon in my Diet Coke for years before they sold Lemon Diet Coke, does that mean I should sue the Coke Company?

Anyhow, that's my rant for the evening ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger Runge Kutta said...

Well there is a difference between you putting lemon in your Diet Coke, and the Dan Brown possibly lifting idea(s) from another author.

Since the book "The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail" was a published and public piece of literature, there's a possibility that Dan Brown could have read that book and used ideas from it to write his own. How much he'd have to lift for it to be infringement, I have absolutely no idea.

However if you could show that you had a published recipe for your Lemon Diet Coke and that Coke copied it, then you may have a case. Although adding one simple ingredient might be too little. Maybe if you had a special Lemon/Cherry recipe, and it could be shown was the same as what Coke uses, you could have a case. But again, I'm no attorney so I'm only guessing.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

You're so right about the amount of what he supposedly took from their book being the deciding factor but my gripe was about people expanding on ideas in general.

BTW: Diet Lemon Coke tastes absolutely gross but you put fresh lemon in Diet Coke and it tastes so much better ;). So the concept was the same but the taste is totally different.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Moon said...

Ok, if I hate lemon and coke no matter what way....can I sue someone? lmao

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home