Saturday, November 18, 2006

Healthwise

Well.....It's been a loooong two weeks and it's far from over yet. Where should I start?

My cousin finally got a kidney transplant! He has been waiting for 6 years. He's been on dialysis since he was 24 years old so at 31 he can finally go back to living a fairly normal life again. He's really excited about a few things...for one, he can pee again. I guess we take for granted that bodily function eh? Who'd of thought someone would be so happy to be able to go pee. He can eat and drink liquids without worrying about poisoning himself, that's always a plus ;) and he can actually go more than a few miles from home without having to worry about getting back in time for dialysis the next day...woohoo that means he can plan a vacation. He's taking 30 pills a day so his body doesn't reject it but that is definitely easier than the dialysis. I'm so happy for him and so very grateful to the family of the donor, his life not only saved my cousin but three other people's lives as well. I'd like to thank not only that family but all the families that have found it in their heart to donate during the hardest time in their lives. They truly are heroes.

My aunt is in the hospital right now, her body is shutting down. She was diagnosed with cervical cancer a few years ago, they did a hysterectomy and since her lymph nodes were clean after that they didn't recommend chemo. It's back and has spread very rapidly, not to mention she also has lupus which I'm sure doesn't help the matter. She is 46 years old and dying. She is 106 pounds and all of it heart, fighting with all she's got even though every minute of it is pure suffering. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

John hasn't been feeling well for the past few weeks. I've taken him to the doctor, the ER and then back to the doctor and he had an MRI this past Tuesday. This morning his doctor called to inform us that it appears that he had a mini stroke and needs to be admitted for further testing. The neurologist came in and did a few physical exams and said that his right side is weaker and less balanced then the left. Tomorrow they will be doing and MRA and hopefully we'll know more. He doesn't have a history of hypertension or migraines so this is somewhat out of the ordinary. I hope that they can figure out what's going on soon so he can come home.

During all this back and forth with John I started having some back pain. On Monday night it turned into full blown excruciating "kill me now" pain and I had to go to the ER. Yeah, I know they should have a corner just for us ;). I took so much pain medication and muscle relaxer in the course of two hours without any relief that even the ER doctor was concerned. It took me at least that long to get from my bed to the van. Needless to say I was pretty much drugged up all week.

I would also like to thank my mom for being here all week taking care of me and my family. I don't know what I'd do without her. I love you mom.

4 Comments:

Blogger Moon said...

OMG Anna...I hope both you and John will be alright. Thats just horrible. I am glad they are trying to get to the bottom of it with john...I am also worried about u though too. Is your back abit better now? or just the meds helping. Thank goodness for your mom for sure, I'M so glad she is there to help u through all this. You know u can call me anytime Anna. Although I can't do much from over here..I have a good pair of ears to just listen with.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

You are having a bitch of a time. Im sorry to hear about it all. I wish there was something I could say to help, but ya know if ya ever need to talk, im always on yahoo.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I can't be there to help you Anna.

I'm happy for Albert that he can pee again. You know, I never realized how many times a day one goes pee, especially when confined to a bed, and continually given ice cold cups of water. On average, a person pees between 400 and 600 ml of urine after takin in about 720-800ml of fluids. There are 5 good channels that are actually entertaining out of 80 channels. There are 120 tiles from one end of the hall to the other end. You get good reception by the elevators. *sigh* yes I'm bored..lol. I miss home, can't wait to get back. Thanks to those well-wishers.

12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how much more garbage can happen to such a beautiful person as yourself? Doesn't anybody realize that you deal with enough to begin with and really do not need this excess drama. However, it has been said "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger". Hang in there kiddo. If you need a shoulder, Im here for ya.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home